Thursday, December 24, 2015

Adventures on the (Part time) Mission Field {3}

continued from the previous post

          I woke up the next morning very confused. I mean, when you're in a hotel that smells like oranges and smoke almost being choked by your infinity scarf (don't sleep with one y'all, it's a bad idea) being woken up by someone whose kids you babysit, why wouldn't you be confused? Then, I remembered the night before: the news that our flight that been cancelled, the realization that we were now losing a day from our trip and I wouldn't be able to attend their youth group or go to their church, the angry scribbling in my journal. I remembered everyone (us Americans and a bunch of {really nice} Brazilians crowding around a gate agent for food and hotel vouchers. I remembered the guy who drove us to our hotel- off the book- saying all he needed was tips, and being surprisingly awake for it being 1 am. Wow, what a night. I found that my roommate had gotten me breakfast- a stale muffin, greasy sausage, an apple, and yogurt. I ate the muffin (well, tried to) and the sausage, journaled a little, and showered before we all took off for the airport to use our vouchers on good food. On our way to the airport we chatted with some other Brazilians in our same situation, but with two young girls and their flight wasn't until the next day. What a mess. Once we got to our destination, we had a little contest at La Madeline to see who could use the most of their voucher without having to pay extra. I don't remember who won, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. We then took the plane train over to another part of the airport to get a rental car. Mr. B and I wanted a sports car, but Mrs. B wouldn't have it. We rode an escalator down to get our car, and  we were having a petty argument or something, causing Mr. B to pull out his phone and clarify whatever we were talking about with Siri. Then, in my sleep-deprived brain, I had a brilliant idea: while he was speaking to Siri, I shouted "elephant!", causing Siri to mess up. We do it a lot in my family, and the look on his face was hilarious. I later found out that it had really surprised him and helped to show him my true colors. We got in our little rental car and drove to The World of Coca-Cola, knocking something off Mrs. B's bucket list. It was fun, tasting sodas from all around the world, but my stomach hurt so badly after, and I never wanted Coke again. After a quick stop a CVS, we were back to the airport because we had no where else to go. That's when Mr. B got a text.

to be continued in my next post when I get back from Mexico

-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment